Transformer Step Up | 500 Watt North America in Japan

Transformer Step Up | 500 Watt North America in Japan


United States to Japan Step Up Transformer allows you to continuously operate your North America appliances while staying in the Japan.  Japan operates on 100 volts electricity and North America operates on 120/140 volts.  Because of this difference in electrical volts a step up converter or transformer is required to run American appliances in Japan. This North America-Japan Transformer offers the safest and most reliable way to use your America and Canada appliances in Japan. North America-Japan transformers are designed for continuous use with all types of appliances and electronic devices.

Add To Cart

Going In Style's 500 watt Step Up transformer allows 120 volt North American appliances to safely operate on 100 volt Japanese electricity. Designed for continuous use.  Japanese electrical voltage ( 100 volts) is lower than United States electrical voltage (120 - 140 volts) so a step up transformer is sometimes needed to use American appliances in Japan.

Transformers are required (instead of converters) when continuous power is needed for electronic equipment or large appliances such as computers kitchen appliances medical equipment power tools stereo systems or any permanently installed electrical equipment. Remember: You need either a transformer or a converter to change the voltage input into your appliance. Adapter Plugs alone do NOT change the voltage; they only change the configuration of the pins.

Allows 120 VAC electronic devices rated up to 500 watts to operate in countries with 100 VAC electrical power sources.

The North America to Japan Step Up Transformer allows 120 volt North American appliances to operate on 100 volt Japanese power sources.  Designed for use with 120 volt North American motorized, electronic, or heating appliances rated up to 500 watts, including: battery chargers, camcorders, digital cameras, notebook computers, desktop computers, laptops, televisions, food processors, CD players, stereos, electric shaver, hot rollers, curling irons and electric toothbrushes.

We recommend a surge protector when using a computer or expensive electronic devices for an extra measure of safety.

Read more about Heave Duty Transformers on Going In Style's Blog.

Step Up 500 Watt Transformer Features:

  • Input 100VAC 50/60 Hz
  • Output 120VAC 50/60 Hz
  • 500 Watts Maximum
  • Weight 5.00 lb.
  • Dimensions 3 1/4"H x 2 3/4"W x 5"D 
  • Model TJ500U

Maximum output is 500 watts.

Use with 120 volt North American appliances and electronic devices such as:

  • Blenders
  • Computer Systems
  • Copiers (small)
  • Fax Machines (large)
  • Food Processors (small)
  • Mixers (stand type)
  • Power Tools (small)
  • Sewing Machines
  • Stereo Systems 
  • Televisions
  • Video Game Systems

About Dual Voltage Appliances

When traveling with appliances it is important to know whether your appliance is dual voltage. If it is not dual voltage you will need either a converter or a transformer when traveling.

The video shown above will show you how to check to make sure your appliance is dual voltage.

Typically cell phones, cameras, tablets and laptops are dual voltage and do not need a converter.

Usually hair dryers, curling irons, battery chargers, hair straighteners, electronic razors and electronic toothbrushes not dual voltage. These appliances will need either a converter or a transformer. It is important to check the label for each of your appliances that you will be traveling with.

The United States runs on about 120 volts electricity while many other countries run on 220 volts electricity or higher. Without a converter or transformer you can burn out your appliance.  The exception to this is Japan, which runs on 100 volts electricity.  When traveling from North America to Japan you will need a STEP UP CONVERTER.

CAUTION - Use only with 100 VAC Japanese power sources.

Transformer Overload

Step Up Transformers are equipped with a replaceable fuse to protect your appliance and the transformer.

To replace the fuse:

  1. Switch the ON / OFF switch to the "OFF position and unplug the power cord.
  2. Unscrew the cap on the fuse holder.
  3. Remove the opened fuse and replace with a new fuse of the same rating.  Replace the fuse holder cap.

To Move Transformer:

  1. Be sure the ON / OFF switch is in the "OFF" position and the power cord is disconnected.  Allow transformer to cool. 
  2. Transformers are heavy.  Use caution when moving.  Be sure you have a secure grip on the transformer case.

Ground Connection

Important: Many Japanese electrical outlets do not have grounded receptacles.  To make a ground connection -

  1. Turn power off to the receptacle at the fuse box or circuit breaker.
  2. Remove receptacle cover plate metal screw (do not remove cover plate).
  3. Place metal screw through ground wire connector and cover plate and tighten screw.
  4. Turn on power to receptacle.


  1. Place the transformer on a firm, flat surface.
  2. Be sure the ON / OFF power switch is in the "OFF" position.  Plug the power ocrd into a 100 VAC Japanese power source.
  3. Be sure your 120 VAC appliance ON / OFF switch is in the "OFF" position prior to use.
  4. Plug your 120 VAC appliance into the receptacle.  Be sure the appliance plug is fully inserted into the receptacle.
  5. Turn the transformer ON / OFF power switch to the "ON" position.  You are now ready to turn the appliance switch on and operate your 120 VAC appliance.



  1. Before cleaning, disconnect the transformer from the electrical outlet.  Allow to cool completely.
  2. clean transformers by wiping with a soft damp cloth.  Do not use abrasive or harsh cleaning agents.  No other maintenance is required.
  3. Store transformer where it will not be damaged.  Do not wrap cord around transformer.
  4. Do not attempt to repair the transformer yourself.