Transformer Step Down | 500 Watt Japan in North America

Transformer Step Down | 500 Watt Japan in North America


Japan to United States Step Down Transformer allows you to continuously operate your Japanese appliances while staying in the United States, Canada and Mexico.  Japan operates on 100 volts electricity and North America operates on 120/140 volts.  Because of this difference in electrical volts a step down converter or transformer is required to run Japanese appliances in the United States. This Japan-North America

Add To Cart

Transformer offers the safest and most reliable way to use your Japanese appliances in North America and your North American appliances in Japan. Japan-North America transformers are designed for continuous use with all types of appliances and electronic devices.

Japanese voltage (85-100 volts) is normally a little lower than ours so a step down transformer is sometimes needed to run Japanese appliances in North America.

Transformers are required (instead of converters) when continuous power is needed for electronic equipment or large appliances such as computers kitchen appliances medical equipment power tools stereo systems or any permanently installed electrical equipment.

Remember: You need either a transformer or a converter to change the voltage input into your appliance. Adapter Plugs alone do NOT change the voltage; they only change the configuration of the pins.

Read more about Heave Duty Transformers on Going In Style's Blog.

Step Down 500 Watt Transformer Features:

  • Input: 120VAC 60 Hz
  • Output: 100VAC 60 Hz
  • 500 Watts Maximum
  • Weight: 5.00 lb.
  • Dimensions: 3 1/4"H x 2 3/4"W x 5"D 
  • Designed for continuous use
  • Step Down Transformer
  • Model TJ500D

TJ500D 500 watt Step Down transformer allows 100 volt Japanese appliances to safely operate on 120 volt North American electricity. Designed for continuous use.

Maximum output is 500 watts.

Use with 100 volt Japanese appliances and electronic devices such as:

  • Blenders
  • Computer Systems
  • Copiers (small)
  • Fax Machines (large)
  • Food Processors (small)
  • Mixers (stand type)
  • Power Tools (small)
  • Sewing Machines
  • Stereo Systems 
  • Televisions
  • Video Game Systems

About Dual Voltage Appliances

When traveling with appliances it is important to know whether your appliance is dual voltage. If it is not dual voltage you will need either a converter or a transformer when traveling.

The video shown above will show you how to check to make sure your appliance is dual voltage.

Typically cell phones, cameras, tablets and laptops are dual voltage and do not need a converter.

Usually hair dryers, curling irons, battery chargers, hair straighteners, electronic razors and electronic toothbrushes not dual voltage. These appliances will need either a converter or a transformer. It is important to check the label for each of your appliances that you will be traveling with.

The United States runs on about 120 volts electricity while many other countries run on 220 volts electricity or higher. Without a converter or transformer you can burn out your appliance.  The exception to this is Japan, which runs on 100 volts electricity.  When traveling from North America to Japan you will need a STEP UP CONVERTER.

Learn More About Dual Voltage Appliances by reading Going In Style's Blog

Learn More About Converters and Voltage Transformers