North America to Japan a Step Up Voltage Converter 150 Watt

North America to Japan a Step Up Voltage Converter 150 Watt


Step Up Voltage Converter will allow you to use United States appliances in Japan.

Japanese voltage (100 volts) is lower than electrical voltage in the United States (120 volts)  therefore, a step up transformer is needed to run United States appliances in Japan.

North America to Japan Converter Model TJ150U

Add To Cart

Japan - North America Transformers offers the safest and most reliable way to use your North American appliances in Japan. Japan-North America transformers are designed for continuous use with all types of appliances and electronic devices. Bring your United States appliances with you when you travel to Japan.

Learn More About Dual Voltage Appliances by reading Going In Style's Blog

Step Up transformer allows 120 volt North American appliances to safely operate on 100 volt Japanese electricity. Designed for continuous use.

The North America to Japan voltage converter allows 120 volt North American appliances to operate on 100 volt Japanese power sources.  Designed for use with 120 volt North American motorized, electronic, or heating appliances rated up to 150 watts, including: Battery Chargers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras, Notebook Computers, Oral hygiene device, Electric Shavers, etc.

Maximum output is 150 watts.

Step Up Voltage Converter Features:

  • Weight 2 lb. 
  • Dimensions 3.75 x 2.5 x 2.25 inches
  • Allows 120 Volt North America appliances to be operated in Japan
  • Step Up Converter
  • Increases 100 volts to 120 volts
  • Use with electronic, motorized or heating appliances
  • Input 100VAC 50/60 Hz
  • Output 120VAC 50/60 Hz
  • 150 Watts Max
  • Model TJ150U


Use with 120 volt North American appliances and electronic devices such as:

  • Answering Machines
  • Battery Chargers
  • Camcorders
  • Coffee Grinders
  • Digital Cameras
  • Fans
  • Fax Machines
  • Ink Jet Printers
  • Keyboards
  • Laptop Computers
  • Mini Disk/DVD/MP3 Players
  • Stereo Systems (small)
  • VCR/DVD Players
  • Video Games
  • Notebook Computers
  • Hot rollers
  • Curling Iron

Important: At times there may be a low humming sound in the converter; this is normal.


  • For indoor use in North America with Japanese appliances only.  150W max load.
  • To prevent electric shock or fire, connect directly to a grounding receptacle.
  • To reduce the risk of electric shock disconnect power to the receptacle before installing or removing the converter. When removing receptacle cover screw, cover may fall across plug pins or receptacle may become displaced. 
  • Use only with 100 volt AC duplex receptacle having center screw; and secure unit in place with receptacle cover screw.
  • Do not place or store converter where it can fall or be pulled into a tub or sink. 
  • Do not place in or drop into water or other liquid. 
  • Use this converter only for its intend use as described by the manufacturer.   
  • Do not plug converter into an extension cord. 
  • Never operate this converter if it has a damaged plug, if it is not working properly, if it has been dropped or damaged, or dropped into water. 
  • Never obstruct air circulation to converter.
  • Never drop or insert any object into any openings or holes. 

Operating Instructions: 

  1. Turn off power to the receptacle at the fuse box or circuit breaker.
  2. Remove screw from receptacle cover plate. (Do not remove cover plate.) 
  3. Plug converter into lowest outlet.  Place screw cover through converter screw ring and cover plate and tighten screw. 
  4. Turn on power to receptacle. 
  5. Insert your appliance plug into the converter. 

About Dual Voltage Appliances

When traveling with appliances it is important to know whether your appliance is dual voltage. If it is not dual voltage you will need either a converter or a transformer when traveling.

The video shown above will show you how to check to make sure your appliance is dual voltage.

Typically cell phones, cameras, tablets and laptops are dual voltage and do not need a converter.

Usually hair dryers, curling irons, battery chargers, hair straighteners, electronic razors and electronic toothbrushes not dual voltage. These appliances will need either a converter or a transformer. It is important to check the label for each of your appliances that you will be traveling with.

The United States runs on about 120 volts electricity while many other countries run on 220 volts electricity or higher. Without a converter or transformer you can burn out your appliance.  The exception to this is Japan, which runs on 100 volts electricity.  When traveling from North America to Japan you will need a STEP UP CONVERTER.

Computers and Apple Products

If you are traveling overseas with a Toshiba, HP, Lenovo, Asus, laptop or Apple device such as an iPad, chances are you won’t need a voltage converter. Most laptops are multi-voltage and will operate on voltages ranging from 100 to 240 volts. However, computers do need to make safe connections to foreign power systems and a surge protector is recommended and you will still need an adapter to use your plug.

    About Japan


    Japan is located in Eastern Asia, island chain between the North Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan, east of the Korean Peninsula and its area is slightly smaller than California. Its climate varies from tropical in south to cool temperate in north. The terrain is mostly rugged and mountainous.


    Currency in Japan is the Japanese Yen (JPY). Credit cards are widely at hotels, restaurants and shops. Foreign currency and travelers cheques can be exchanged at banks throughout Japan.


    Staying Connected

    Japan has an excellent domestic and international telephone system with a high level of modern technology and excellent service of every kind. Cell phone coverage is great. When travelling to Japan you will want to take an international or unlocked cell phone with a prepaid Japan SIM card. You can also contact your mobile service provider to set up an international calling plan. You will need an adapter to charge your phone. Most cell phone battery rechargers should be multi-voltage, therefore will not require a converter. If the charger says 100-240 volts, 50-60 cycles then your charger in multi-voltage.

    Japan has 63.466 million internet hosts and over 99.182 million internet users. Internet access is widely available in internet cafes, coffee shops and hotels. When traveling with your laptop or iPad you will need an adapter to charge your device.